1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dbkGU@hamp.hampshire.edu
Date: 08 Jun 1995 15:09:43
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Conference comments

Posting from "David Keith (ISIS)" <dbkGU@hamp.hampshire.edu>

[Folks,
I sent this first to Lenny and Aimee who each encouraged me to
post it. It breaks Lenny's length recommendation. I received the comment
that I need to give more consideration to the idea that citizens are
experts.]

Dear Lenny and Aimee,

Thank you for putting together the conference. You put in a lot
of work-- it showed and I got a lot from the experience.

As with other such events I have attended, I believe the most
important part is not just hearing information or making
connections, but making friends. I did and I thank you. Rather
than attempt a cool, objective analysis, I will start by describing
what I felt as the conference progressed.

As some one who has a backlog of adversarial relations with the local
base (Westover ARB), I came to S.F. with considerable reservations about the
whole RAB concept. I am very concerned that cooperation can too easily
become co-optation. I suspect many people would describe asuccessful
RAB as one that acts as a damper to absorb and dissipate citizen anger.

On Friday and Saturday, then, I felt a growing sense of
defensiveness. The message I was hearing was that citizens have
won, the doors are now open, and not only are we citizens no longer needed,
we are actually impeding effective cleanup. We might be of some
help in making sure the military and its consultants have the
money they need and that they spend it well. But the better a RAB is
functioning, it seemed, the less the real need for citizen
participation.

Merv Tano's talk about the need for looking at the long term and
learning to "dance with the devil" makes perfect sense to
me, but I could not help feeling displaced. As long as the military is
listening to Tano's corps of experts, then those of us who made
the military start listening can declare victory and go home--
which does not give us much incentive to put work into a RAB. I
also worry that those doing the compromising can too easily open
valves on the steam-pressure activists built up at such cost in
effort and time. The compromises spend our savings. I heard terse
replies to questions about ways to press the military as rebukes; pressure and
antagonism are old and bad, cooperation is good.

I bought Tad McCall's higher call to use RABs as a new model for
democracy. In the terms McCall and the Rev. Black used, I get
interested again in participating. I do not see the role of RAB
members as one of shuttling information between the military and the
community; instead, we help create the community. The military makes
stakeholders. We help stakeholders recognize themselves as a group within
a still greater community of interests.

Ideally, getting information to citizens gives them power. The
conference emphasized access to expertise. If the goal of RABs is
strictly to advise the military on how to do a better job of scrubbing
soils, then only such expertise can help them do it. The subtle, but very real
difficulty is that the experts can simply make citizens irrelevant. Why
bother with the intermediaries if advice is the only function? Why not
just have your experts talk to my experts? If we are all cooperating anyway,
citizens just slow down the cleanup. Informing citizens serves no
constructive function toward actual cleanup and only serves to mollify public
suspicion.

Please do not think I am asking to remain ignorant. Citizens do
need technical expertise. But expertise is every bit as
inherently undemocratic as martial hierarchy. Experts can, by the
information they possess, command higher authority in a group and
can direct the terms of discussion toward the area of their
authority.

Which brings me at last to comments that might help next year's
planning. Speaking for your own group at Moffet Field, Paul said
that RAB members recognized that ultimately technical questions
were secondary; the real issues were political. This is a crucial
distinction that deserved more attention.

Leslie Byster's organizing skills workshop helped, as did the
Reverend Black's environmental justice talk, but these seemed more
to emphasize who should be included or how to get people involved
than why they should become involved. I would have liked more
discussion of what role citizens can play on a RAB board. Most of
this conference involved either technical questions of cleanup or
technical questions of how to regulate and facilitate cleanup.
Yet even your own group, Lenny, discovered that the larger
emphasis has to be political. So for next time, I would like to
start with this question: what does it mean that the issues are
ultimately political?

By political, I am not just referring to political organizing. I
mean that some of these questions cannot be solved by science.
For instance, while scientific methods may calculate risk, the
acceptability of risk is a political question.

As you said, Lenny, the off-times are usually the most important
and I did appreciate the chances for people to get together on
their own terms. No matter what the emphasis of the lecturers,
they provided a place to start more personal discussions that were
extremely valuable. My initial defensiveness diminished as I had
a chance to talk informally with others at the conference. I
suppose I should have enjoyed the chance to talk with those whose
views I do not share-- and I certainly did-- but I only began to
relax when I found kindred spirits, especially when I did not
expect them to be. Not putting our affiliations on our name tags
was a dirty trick, but I appreciated its astute deviousness. Even
though we could check the address list, we could not make instant
assumptions about each other.

I have been picky in this letter, but I want to end with sincere
thanks. Even if I did not come away from the conference with any
clear answers, I got good questions. Please keep up the good work.

Sincerely, David Keith

PS: My next letters will be to Congress.

PPS: 1.) We do not just represent a community, we help form it.
 2.) What does it mean that the issues are ultimately political?