1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: hwilshire@isdmnl.wr.usgs.gov
Date: 31 May 1995 14:28:45
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: BTEX addendum II

Posting from hwilshire@isdmnl.wr.usgs.gov (Howard Wilshire)

I will toss in a few comments to this discussion from a geological
perspective. As I am sure you are aware, there are soils and soils, and
lots of alluvium (accumulations of sand, gravel, silt, clay) that's called
soil but isn't. Important questions in residence time of any contaminant
are the nature and thickness of the material above the water table
(unsaturated zone), what kinds of clay minerals are present and in what
abundance (they vary radically in their sorptive properties), and the
mineralogy of non-clay components. Stratification and fractures are of
critical importance inasmuch as they may control the rate of movement of
contaminants through the unsaturated zone, and transport through fractures
may bypass the sorptive properties of the body of the "soil".