1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Ted Schettler <tschettler@igc.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 07:14:22 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: "Medicine and Global Survival"

Posting from Ted Schettler <tschettler>

To: Conference participants

I have recently published a paper in "Medicine and Global
Survival", the journal of IPPNW (International Physicians for the
Prevention of Nuclear War), entitled Reverberations of Militarism:
Toxic Contamination, the Environment, and Health. In the paper I
concentrate primarily on the DOD problem of base contamination
though mention the much larger DOE problem as well. Beyond the
scope, there is discussion of some of the strengths and weaknesses
of toxicology and epidemiology when addressing the health issues,
followed by a discussion of specific health effects which may
result from exposure to some of the commonly occurring
contaminants on DOD sites. There is a representative
bibliography.

As I regularly follow this conference it occurs to me that some of
you might find this paper useful in your work at local bases and
on RAB's. For those of you who have been involved with this issue
for some time you are probably familiar with most of the
information but for others, it might be a useful reference. In
any case I'd be glad to send a copy to anyone interested - it is
too long to post on the network. Just send me a name and mailing
address.

Ted Schettler Physicians for Social Responsibility
tschettler@igc.org
124 Peterborough St. Apt. 12 Boston MA, 02215