1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 22:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Pressure/budgets

I don't know how many others are getting the sense that DoD is trying
to use the recent recisions to either cut down on clean-up responsibilities,
or short-cut the CERCLA process, but I sure am. I wouldn't go so far as
to say its extortion, but its getting close to that. At one site I am
working on, the Navy has suggested a no action alternative to clean-up
(they're not even calling it intrinisic remediation); at another, the
Air Force is trying to use a RCRA removal action as the remedial action under CERCLA
CERCLA, so that when the ROD is complete, the technology will already be in
place. In effect, unless the community is involved in the removal action plan
it will give up its power (i.e. community acceptance of a remedy) under CERCLA.
In this latter case, the AF has two arguments for pursuing this course of
action: 1) that it will speed clean-up; and, 2) that it doesn't know if it
will have funds later on to implement a clean-up strategy under CERCLA.

I would like to hear from anyone who is getting a similar line at a DoD
Superfund site. It is also something that citizen's groups should be discussing.
These guys play hardball, and I don't think EPA has the power to stand up to
them.

pstrauss@igc.org