1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 12:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Intrinsic Remediation

I'm naturally suspicious of natural attenuation, but in fact that is the
remedy in place at most toxic spills. That's what we do with the alleys
in which we used to dump motor oil.

The question is: how large a site, or how much risk of migration requires
an active remedy? If in fact there is strong evidence that the contamination
will not pose a risk to anyone before it breaks down, then it is hard to
argue a more expensive course. The burden of proof, however, must be on the
polluter.

Lenny