1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 16:18:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: BASE CLOSURE TRANSFER ISSUES (120H)

Lenny,
I have a tendency to side with Ms. Goodman on this one. I was just in
Tucson, where one Superfund site is divided among several PRPs, including Hughes
and the Air Force. At property adjecent to the Air Force's zone of
responsibility, private parties have leased and sold contaminated sites,
perhaps at a discount. The point is, I do not think it serves anyone well
if we set a double standard. The original PRPs are still liable for clean-up,
and there is a legal standard which PRPs cannot rid themselves of ultimate
responsibility. As you alluded to in your statemenmt before Congress,
you do not want to see a situation in which DoD does not pay its fair share
for cleanup at Moffett.

peter strauss