1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: coho@whidbey.net
Date: 10 Jan 1995 20:06:50
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: FYI (fwd)

Posting from Bill Skubi <coho@whidbey.net>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1995 22:25:32 -0800
From: Steve Johnson <sjohnson@islander.whidbey.net>
To: coho@whidbey.net
Subject: FYI

Bill
The following is the letter sent to SecDef by the LWV of Whidbey Is
Steve

December 19, 1994

Hon. John Deutch
Deputy Secretary of Defense
The Pentagon
Washington, DC

Dear Sir:
 We repectfully urge you to support Department of Defense environmental
funding at levels necessary to fulfill the Department's commitments to
communities and its legal obligations. Recent news reports suggest that
the Department of Defense may cut its funding request for the fiscal year
1996 and the 1997 planning figure substantially below levels suggested by
the Environmental Security Office.

We live in a community that is facing the effects of pollution and
contamination from domestic Defense Department facilities. Over the last
few years the progress has been made in increased cleanup, compliance and
other environmental programs. We are deeply concerned that drastic cuts in
Defense environmental programs will undermine future success of these
efforts.

We ask that you maintain funding for the Defense Department environmmental
programs.

Sincerely,
Nancy Theune,
President LWVWI