1994 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 16:16:34 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: PERRY BACKS CLEANUP

PERRY BACKS CLEANUP

 The Washington Post reports today (December 22, 1994) that
Defense Secretary William Perry has "made it plain ... he plans to fight, not
switch, on programs and policies under his domain." In an article headed
"Perry Vows to Fight Hill for Base, Nuclear Cleanups," Perry is quoted,
from a year-end news conference, saying "I believe the primary debate is
going to be on priorities ... I do not believe we are proposing to spend
unnecessary money on environmental compliance, or unnecessary money
for Nunn-Lugar." The latter is the program designed to encourage the
former Soviet republics to dismantle their weapons or mass destruction.

 The article also enhances Perry's personal credibility. Despite
general pre-confirmation expectations that Perry would be bland and
anonymous, it concludes, "Perry has emerged as one of the administration's
important foreign policy players, and its most effective senior spokesman
on national security matters."

 His public backing, during this winter of discontent, of the
Pentagon environmental program is an important political coup for the
Environmental Security office at the Pentagon.