2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Mar 2007 17:12:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Fort Monroe national park proposal

Defending the Fort

A proposal to turn Fort Monroe into a national park has been called a 'pipe dream' by some skeptics. But a group of citizens believes otherwise - and they’re determined to turn their vision into a reality.

By Sara Piccini
Portfolio Weekly (VA)
March 20, 2007

When my brother and his family made their first visit to Hampton Roads some years ago, I whisked them straightaway to Fort Monroe. Dana’s two boys were already seasoned military brats, having lived at both Keesler and Eglin Air Force bases, but Fort Monroe is no ordinary military installation.

Nicknamed "the Gibraltar of the Chesapeake," the moated, hexagonal structure is the largest stone fort ever constructed in the United States. The U.S. Department of the Interior has designated the fort itself, together with the installation’s historic buildings and most of its acreage, a National Historic Landmark District.

http://www.portfolioweekly.com/Pages/InfoPage.php/iID/2640