2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Mar 2007 18:00:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Hunters Point (San Francisco, CA) artists

Artists wary of new 49ers stadium
By Mike Swift
San Jose Mercury News (CA)
March 9, 2007

Sunlight splashes the white walls of David Trachtenberg's Hunters Point studio on a brilliant mid-winter afternoon. This has been the abstract painter's cherished workplace since he quit his job in December, when, at 59, the knowledge hit him: "I cannot not do this."

Outside, beyond the ruins of this polluted Cold War shipyard, San Francisco Bay shimmers and the emerald East Bay foothills look impossibly close.

"This has completely transformed me," Trachtenberg says of the bright corner room where jazz plays quietly. His is one of about 300 such studios in one of the nation's largest artist colonies - a collection of solitary creative lives that lie in the apparent path of a mega-development that could include a new stadium for the San Francisco 49ers. With San Francisco urging the Navy to accelerate the former shipyard's environmental clean-up, the one certainty for Hunters Point is that dramatic change is coming - soon.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_5394316