2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Jun 2006 07:03:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Concord Naval Weapons Station (CA) survey

Balance is key to base, city finds

By Ryan Huff
CONTRA COSTA TIMES (CA)
June 20, 2006

As Concord officials plan the most important project in recent city history, residents support a balance of houses, businesses, open space and parks at the Concord Naval Weapons Station.

The findings of a survey the city released last week show that residents may not back the goals most speakers touted at recent city meetings -- leaving 80 percent or all of the land as green space.

"I don't think those people understand you can pay for more amenities like parks out there through property taxes on housing," said Mike McDermott, who has lived in Concord for 24 years.

"A balanced plan makes sense," he said Monday. "I have no economic stake in this, but I do have four kids and they are all going to be renters unless we can increase the housing supply."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/14859379.htm