2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 May 2006 17:50:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Meeting about Hangar One at Moffett Field (CA)

Locals heart their hangar
Calls grow for Navy to preserve Moffett landmark

by Jon Wiener
Mountain View Voice
May 26, 2006

In 1933, community members gave Hangar One to the Navy. Now they want it back.

About 300 people, not counting dozens of media and federal employees, stuffed the public affairs building at Moffett Field on Tuesday night to show their support for restoration of the landmark structure. At one point, so many people had shown up that the Navy was turning people away at the door.

"I think we did what we needed to do tonight," said Lenny Siegel, one of the founding members of the Save Hangar One Committee, the group that has led the effort to organize the community. "We won't know if it was enough for a while."

In the late 1920s, the Navy was searching for a home on the West Coast for a giant dirigible that would later be named the U.S.S. Macon. Seeking to attract the Navy to the Bay Area, chambers of commerce from San Jose to San Francisco pooled their resources and raised nearly $500,000, a fortune at the time, to buy 1,000 acres at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay.

http://www.mv-voice.com/story.php?story_id=1556
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org