2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Apr 2006 17:27:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Ingleside's (TX) hope for a post-Navy future

Small city has hopes for redevelopment after base closure

LYNN BREZOSKY
Associated Press
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
April 22, 2006

INGLESIDE, Texas - The sign just outside town boasts that it's "Navy Country," but this quiet city on the edge of Corpus Christi Bay will have to find something else to brag about.

Cruise Ship Center? Research Hub? Rig Yard Country?

Since the Pentagon's decision last year to shut down Naval Station Ingleside by 2011 in the latest round of military base closures, local officials have been busy figuring out what to do with the sprawling installation.

"I think we'll have a lot of the best minds in the area working on it and we're guardedly optimistic," Ingleside Mayor Gene Stewart said. "It's going to be a challenge. Obviously, we're looking for a facility to replace it that has a lot of high-paying jobs. That's our dream."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/14402552.htm

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org