2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Apr 2006 22:01:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] BRAC work may be delayed

Iraq, Katrina May Delay BRAC Work

Adam Sarvana
InsideDefense.com NewsStand
April 5, 2006

Reconstructing Iraq and work on natural disaster recovery could delay contractor work on 2005 Base Realignment and Closure projects, and meeting the mandated 2011 deadline for BRAC property transfers "will be a significant challenge," a major contractor said March 22 at the Joint Services Environmental Management conference in Denver.

"Not much has started yet," said Tom Roell, president of the infrastructure and technology group at Parsons Inc. "We're going to have to move fast on what will be incomplete scopes of work. We can't do things twice or start over, and we have to do twice as much work in half the time as in older BRAC rounds."

At issue is the government's schedule for BRAC cleanup and property transfer. By law, 2005 BRAC property must be transferred out of military hands by September 2011. However, contractors and other sources have pointed out that the government's deadline does not cover when that property will be cleaned up or ready for reuse. Sites closed in past BRAC rounds have sometimes become contentious, with local reuse authorities, contractors and DOD disputing contamination remediation levels and how BRAC property should be used in the future.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,93357,00.html
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org