2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 03:45:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Kansas Army Ammunition Plant

Community rallies after ammo plant targeted for closure

ROXANA HEGEMAN
Associated Press
Wichita Eagle
January 24, 2006

PARSONS, Kan. - Eight months after it was targeted for closure, the Kansas Army Ammunition Plant here hired more than 75 workers to handle a slew of new contracts - amid efforts by a local economic development group to turn the site into an industrial park.

While other communities across the nation are fighting the latest round of proposed military base closures, this small Kansas city is gambling that a more effective tactic may be to cooperate with the recommendation by Base Realignment and Closure Commission.

"We immediately decided: 'We are on the list, probably there is not going to be anything we can do to save it as an operating facility in its current form. Let's see what we can do otherwise," said Jerry Carson, Labette county commissioner who formed the initial local redevelopment planning group.

Community leaders here envision turning the 13,700-acre site into a regional industrial park anchored by an independent ammunitions manufacturer - Day & Zimmerman, the same company that for decades has run the ammo plant under contract for the Army.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/state/13700616.htm