2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Nov 2005 22:45:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Impact on Ft. Monroe workforce

Forum focuses on BRAC issues

BY PATRICK BUFFETT
CASEMATE (Ft. Monroe, VA)

Fort Monroe’s garrison workforce received some good news about the Base Realignment and Closure process during a Nov. 15 town hall meeting at the post theater.

As of midnight Nov. 9 when the BRAC recommendations became law, all government civilian employees assigned to activities designated for closure or realignment outside the commuting area are authorized unlimited leave accrual, according to Barry Buchanan, the installation’s Civilian Personnel Director and acting deputy to the garrison commander.

Furthermore, those stashed away days can be used to attain retirement eligibility when the installation is closed, “cashed in” if another federal government job is found elsewhere or paid in a lump sum upon regular or early retirement. Ordinarily, any leave time over 240 hours is forfeited.

Garrison employees could also be offered retention incentives if they opt to stay on the job through the BRAC process, Buchanan explained during his town hall presentation. He said the command “completely understands” if employees decide to seek other employment sooner rather than later, but they will offer incentives to those who continue to contribute their expertise through closure.

Other perks for employees who stay include a job swap program in which the government will pay all moving expenses, as well as opportunities to attend additional training to become more competitive. “The bottom line is that we’re going to do everything we can to help those employees who want to stay in the workforce,” Buchanan said.

Employees who meet the requirements for early or regular retirement may also see severance packages at the end of the BRAC process. The Department of Defense has authorized Voluntary Separation Incentive Payments and Voluntary Early Retirement Payments. For more information about these programs visit www.cpms.osd.mil/bractransition.

During the town hall meeting, garrison employees were also provided a fact sheet that contained Web references for BRAC information and support programs for families, frequently asked questions and a personal message from the garrison commander.

“BRAC is about teamwork,” the message explained. “Our mission ahead may seem sad, but its purpose could not be nobler. Fort Monroe’s sacrifice will ultimately benefit U.S. service members … we cannot lose sight of that fact.

“As we move forward, we must also be prepared to address future job opportunities,” Evans continued. “More than two-thirds of the jobs at Fort Monroe will remain in the Tidewater area. Others will relocate with Accessions and Cadet Command to Fort Knox, Ky. The rest (of the employees) will begin the search for new jobs elsewhere, and some will stay until Fort Monroe closes.

“Regardless of which category you may fall into, I encourage research and open dialogue … And please assure your friends and family that caring for our workforce is the top priority of every military and civilian leader on this installation.”

The fact sheet also provided the following questions and answers about Fort Monroe’s closure to “inform community members and help them discuss the BRAC process more accurately, which, in turn, discourages rumor and exaggeration.” Employees were asked to keep in mind that some of the answers given are based on planning data that is known at this time, and the information is subject to change.

Q: I have a family member/friend who works at Fort Monroe. Will that employee lose his/her job?