2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Date: 21 Oct 2005 22:39:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Jacksonville (FL) says no to jets

Florida ends bid to reopen base

A Florida mayor's turnaround could help Virginia save Oceana Naval Air
Station and its 12,000 jobs.

BY DAVID LERMAN
Newport News Daily Press (VA)
October 21 2005

SAVING OCEANA -- In a move that could help save Oceana Naval Air Station
from closure, the mayor of Jacksonville, Fla., said Thursday he is
abandoning an effort to reopen his city's Cecil Field as a possible
substitute for the Virginia Beach base.

Mindful of strong community opposition, Mayor John Peyton said he could
not continue to pursue plans to bring Oceana's 12,000 jobs and 250
fighter planes to the Westside area of Jacksonville.

"The feedback I've received in recent weeks makes it clear that the
community does not want the master jet base to return, and I respect
that," Peyton said in a statement issued by his office. "I did my job by
making sure we had the chance to consider a great economic opportunity.
But at the end of the day, the quality of life for residents of the
Westside is the most important thing."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/dp-07063sy0oct21,0,3545637.story?coll=dp-news-local-final