2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Aug 2005 19:54:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Cost of keeping Oceana Naval Air Station (VA) open

Last Chances: Oceana might be spared - but at a great cost

OCEANA: Virginia Beach must raze 1,800 homes and clear other hurdles to
save Oceana Naval Air Station, or operations may be moved to Florida.

BY JOHN M.R. BULL
Hampton Roads Daily Press (VA)
August 25. 2005

State and Virginia Beach officials say they will try to come up with the
cash to buy and tear down 1,800 homes worth more than $250 million to
keep Oceana Naval Air Station from being mothballed.

It is the most extreme, and costly, requirement issued Wednesday by a
federal base-closing panel to keep the fighter jets and personnel from
moving to Florida.

But it is not the only potentially pricey condition that must be met.

"Virginia Beach is under the gun right now," said state Sen. Ken Stolle,
R-Virginia Beach. "This is, in my opinion, a do-or-die situation. Either
we all come together, or we lose the jets and have a shell of a base
that can't be reused."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-73352sy0aug25,0,3771863.story?coll=dp-headlines-topnews