2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Aug 2005 08:31:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: Re: [CPEO-IRF] Defense Department environmental testimony

The Defense Department says that its cleanup program is mature, and that
costs have been identified. It also says that most remedies are in
place. DON'T BELIEVE EITHER CLAIM.

1. Maturity

The Defense cleanup program is as mature as my 18-year old son, who
actually grew up with the military's cleanup program. (Some readers may
remember him from meetings of the Federal Facilities Environmental
Restoration Dialogue Committee in the mid-1990s.)

That is, the program for cleaning toxic and radioactive wastes is
full-grown, but it still maturing in other ways. Most important, it is
full of surprises. For example, the former Moffett Naval Air Station
(CA), in my community, was closed as part of BRAC '91. The Navy's
cleanup program at Moffett is generally well regarded. Yet two of the
biggest cleanup challenges (volatile organic compounds in the shallow
groundwater beneath a military housing area now owned by the Army, and
PCBs and other contaminants built into the huge dirigible Hangar) were
only identified within the past few years.

The only way that such new discoveries will not boost the cleanup
expense will be if the Defense Department refuses to pay for the cleanup
- as the Air Force is doing at the former Lowry Air Force Base (CO) and
the Navy is trying to do at the Moffett Military Housing Area. As BRAC
'05 bases open up and communities develop reuse plans, one can expect
major new cleanup challenges on those as well.

The Military Munitions Response Program, on the other hand, is in its
infancy. It will take the armed services some time to finish identifying
closed ranges on active bases. And as bases with operational (active and
inactive) ranges close, those ranges will have to be added to cleanup
calculations. Remember, the military does not spend munitions response
dollars on operational ranges. Of course, if the armed services simply
refuse to make those ranges safe - as the Army has done at the Jefferson
Proving Ground - then the cost of "cleanup" will be much lower.

2. Remedies in place.

When it reports that a large share of sites (portions of bases) have
response complete, the Defense Department usually counts those sites
which required no further action after initial identification or
investigation. It's inaccurate to describe those as having "remedies in
place." A relatively small fraction of sites requiring cleanup actually
have remedies in place. This is true in general at Defense Department
facilities, and spot-checking some of the major bases currently on the
BRAC '05 list shows very few remedies in place.

Lenny Siegel