2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Jul 2005 16:51:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Maryland and the Air Guard

Maryland decides not to fight Air National Guard switch

By Melissa Harris
Baltimore Sun
July 29, 2005

MARYLAND will not be joining two states in lawsuits against the Defense Department over a proposal to remove all aircraft from nearly two dozen Air National Guard bases, including eight cargo planes from the Martin State Airport in Baltimore County, a state official said this week.

The lawsuits filed by Pennsylvania and Illinois challenge whether the Pentagon has the authority to reconfigure state-run Guard units without the approval of the state's governor, whose right to form militias is guaranteed in the Constitution. The suits contend that base-closing statutes can't supersede the Constitution.

Aris Melissaratos, Maryland's economic development secretary, said that he isn't going to complain about this issue because the overall picture for high-tech and job growth in the state is bright under the BRAC plan.

"Our position is that we support the BRAC recommendations," he said. "I have to be very careful because I'm playing around with 10,000 potential jobs, and those airplanes would only cost 150."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/annearundel/bal-ar.federal29jul29,1,6475715.story?coll=bal-local-arundel

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org