2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Jul 2005 20:07:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: Re: [CPEO-IRF] Skaggs Island (CA)

Submitted by Saul Bloom <saulbloom@arcecology.org>

Lenny:

Good question. As you know there has been a damaging dust-up between the
Navy and Fish and Wildlife that has all but killed the planned refuges
at Alameda Point, Mare Island, Skaggs and elsewhere around the state and
country. Like you, we know of no statutory authority that permits the
Navy's current policy of refusing to honor the CERCLA covenant of
returning to remediate unknown contaminants found after property
transfer to a fellow federal agency. Nevertheless the budget busting
potential of the Navy's refusal to honor the covenant has Fish and
Wildlife refusing to accept the transfer of the liability and therefore
turning its back on the planned and potential refuges on former military
facilities. Consequently much of the public/ environmental good the
preservation of these properties as refuges would provide has been
undermined. Like you Arc Ecology would like to know if there is any
statutory support that can be cited to justify the Navy's policy.

Saul Bloom