2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Jun 2005 06:12:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Groton (CT) radiation questions

Radiation Questions Remain A Concern At Submarine Base
Levels Of Potentially Harmful Contamination Still Largely Unknown

By JUDY BENSON
The Day (CT)
June 2, 2005

If the Naval Submarine Base in Groton closes, one of the many
environmental issues that will have to be sorted out is whether
potentially harmful levels of radiological contamination linger in the
base buildings, soils, river sediments, instruments and dry docks from a
half-century of berthing nuclear-powered submarines.

"There are outstanding questions," state Department of Environmental
Protection Commissioner Gina McCarthy said after touring the base last
week with a team of DEP experts, including those from the Radiation
Division. "My largest concern is what we don't know. We've only really
seen it (radiological issues) minimally looked at at this point."

Concerns about environmental issues at the base, named to the federal
Superfund list of the nation's most polluted sites in 1990, were
rekindled May 13 when the Defense Department announced the nation's
oldest submarine installation was being recommended for closure.

Since the Superfund designation, much of the cleanup has been
accomplished, but how much remains is a matter of debate, as is the
cost. Some of the cleanup has been done to standards acceptable for an
industrial site and a working military base, but not to higher
residential standards that would be required for the 687-acre property
to be reused for residential or recreational purposes.

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=7DD37DB3-E17F-4C78-AD80-C23D8F0F2186