2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Apr 2005 15:16:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Refineries

[I recall, in the wake of previous base closure rounds, proposals to put
fossil-fuel based electrical power plans on closing bases in California.
That didn't fly. But I don't know what happened with plans to build
solar power farms on military bases. - LS]

BUSH BACKS REFINERIES AT MILITARY SITES

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Cape Cod Times
April 27, 2005

WASHINGTON - President Bush is offering to make closed military bases
available for new oil refineries and will ask Congress to provide a
"risk insurance" to the nuclear industry against regulatory delays to
spur construction of new nuclear power plants, senior administration
officials said yesterday.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the president
will outline his proposals in a speech today in which he intends to
emphasize how new technologies can be used to ease the energy supply crunch.

The White House acknowledged that none of the initiatives was expected
to provide any short-term relief from soaring gasoline and oil prices.
It is Bush's second speech on energy within a week, reflecting the
growing concern within the White House over the political fallout over
high energy prices.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/bushbacks27.htm