2021 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 19:35:16 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Waukegan [IL] residents fighting decades of industrial pollution"

Waukegan residents fighting decades of industrial pollution: ‘Just because something isn’t perfect doesn’t mean you abandon it.’

By SYLVIA GOODMAN
CHICAGO TRIBUNE (IL)
December 3, 2021

Growing up in Waukegan, Eduardo Flores didn’t think much about the presence of inhalers on his playground.

Every couple of months, one of his classmates or a kid from a different grade would suffer an asthma attack while playing tag or soccer at recess.

“Whenever someone got an asthma attack, I would always have to run and help get an inhaler,” said Flores, now 19. “It was such a normal thing to me as a child that I never questioned it.”

It wasn’t until Flores got involved with environmental activism that he realized there might be a reason for all the asthma cases in his community.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/environment/ct-environmental-justice-waukegan-coal-ash-ponds-20211203-vyhiuaonjzg3bfa3b3l5up2vpa-story.html

—