2018 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 18:37:00 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Public advocate on Waterpointe: 'We need to prepare for litigation, '" Queens, New York

Public advocate on Waterpointe: 'We need to prepare for litigation’

by Ryan Brady
Queens Chronicle (NY)
January 18, 2018

Whitestone residents upset with the controversial Waterpointe brownfield cleanup may have an influential new ally.

Public Advocate Letitia James said she would help in the potential launch of litigation over the situation at the We Love Whitestone Civic Association's meeting on Wednesday night.

"I'm prepared to seek and try to find a law firm that will represent you in your interests," she said. "This is totally unacceptable."
The Edgestone Group, which conducted the cleanup, plans on building 52 single-family homes at the property. The firm could not be reached for comment.

Many in the community are upset with the Department of Environmental Conversation over the project, because the agency agreed to let Edgestone pursue a different cleanup method than first planned. Rather than the Track 2 residential cleanup that was originally planned, the developer conducted a Track 4 unrestricted residential one, which is less stringent in terms of the chemicals allowed at the site.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.qchron.com/editions/north/public-advocate-on-waterpointe-we-need-to-prepare-for-litigation/article_417431f6-fc87-11e7-926c-ebb5192415af.html

-