2017 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 08:20:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Mancelon, Michigan TCE plume

Toxic plume moving faster than expected

By: Linda Gallagher
Antrim Review (MI)
July 27, 2017

Jeff and Rachel Krino never imagined they'd have to deal with having a contaminated water source when they moved north in the fall of 2003.

"After growing up in the Pittsburgh, Pa. area where you couldn't swim in the Ohio River because of coal mine runoff, our goal was to move somewhere where the water was clean and safe for the children we hoped to have," said Rachel Krino.

…

But 13 years later, the Krino family, which now includes two children, are hooked up to the Mancelona Area Water System and no longer drink or bathe in water from their own well because the plume – of potentially lethal trichloroethylene leaked into the ground by indiscriminate disposal of degreasers at a Mancelona factory in the mid-20th century – is now located under their home.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.antrimreview.net/content/toxic-plume-moving-faster-expected

Executive Director