2017 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 16:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Former Bathey Manufacturing Co. site, Plymouth, Michigan

MDEQ: Contaminated site needs environmental testing

by Darrell Clem ,
Hometown Life (MI)
June 30, 2017

A contaminated former industrial site in Plymouth needs a new round of environmental testing to determine whether a solvent, once used by a company that made industrial baskets, could potentially pose health risks to nearby residents.

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality already knows from soil tests conducted in 2012 that elevated levels of TCE, or trichloroethylene, have been found on the former Bathey Manufacturing Co. site, at North Mill and Amelia, MDEQ geologist Brandon Alger said.

However, those tests didn't include soil gas samples that Alger said are needed to determine whether TCE has made its way into nearby homes and, if so, to what extent.

"We have no idea if there is an indoor impact at this point," he said, adding later, "If there is a risk, we want to know yesterday."

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/local/plymouth/2017/06/30/mdeq-contaminated-site-needs-environmental-testing/440163001/

Executive Director