2016 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Kelsey Westfall <kelsey.westfall@sierrafund.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 14:51:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Submission to Brownfields mailing list

Hello Lenny,

As the manager of the Brownfields mailing list, I'm contacting you to ask that you distribute this Call for Abstracts to the list serve, for The Sierra Fund's upcoming conference, Reclaiming the Sierra 2017: Headwaters Resiliency. The Policies to Promote Responsible Land Use and Management conference theme (see description below) may be of particular interest to your constituents. I have attached a one-page flier describing the Call for Abstracts below, for your convenience.

The Sierra Fund is inviting researchers from multiple disciplines to submit abstracts to our fourth biennial conference, Reclaiming the Sierra 2017: Headwaters Resiliency, May 8-9, 2017 at California State University, Sacramento. The deadline to submit an abstract is January 31, 2017. We encourage you to submit your research, and pass this call along to your network.

Reclaiming the Sierra 2017 will focus on strategies to promote headwaters resiliency at the nexus of cutting edge science, forward thinking policy and state of the art technology. The event will showcase innovative perspectives related to the following conference themes:

Assessment and Abatement Strategies for Environmental Toxins: This conference theme will examine the degree and extent of contaminated fish, air, soil and water from pollutants including mercury, arsenic and lead, and the implications for sensitive populations, Native peoples, and disadvantaged communities (DACs). Keywords: mercury in fish; airborne particulate matter; severe fire; public health; disadvantaged and underserved communities; reducing involuntary exposure; fish consumption advisories; community outreach and education; environmental justice; mercury exposure pathways; beneficial use; Bay/Delta

Ecosystem Function and Resiliency: This conference theme will explore options for resource management in a changing climate, including restoring healthy forests and meadows, reservoir water storage capacity and longitudinal connectivity to support ecosystem function and resiliency in headwaters. Keywords: reservoir management; volitional fish passage; healthy forests; meadow restoration; ecosystem services; species resiliency; integrated regional watershed management (IRWM) groups; multiple benefits; cost-benefit analysis; environmental flow regimes; dedicated instream flows

Policies to Promote Responsible Land Use and Management: This conference theme will explore policy opportunities to promote responsible land use and management through the adoption and implementation of practices that protect and restore headwaters resiliency in the environment and in the communities of the Sierra Nevada. Keywords: forest management, SMARA implementation; mine reclamation; environmental policy; responsible land use; Brownfields; assessment & due diligence

Deadline to submit an abstract: January 31, 2017

Visit the conference website (www.reclaimingthesierra.org) for specific details, including abstract submission guidelines and submission procedure. If you have any questions, please contact Kelsey Westfall, (530) 265-8454 x217, kelsey.westfall@sierrafund.org.

About The Sierra Fund: Since 2006, nonprofit organization The Sierra Fund has worked to address the ongoing environmental, cultural and human health impacts of historic mining in the Sierra Nevada. We support organizations and communities by increasing public and private funding, advocating for policy changes and bringing intellectual resources that build capacity to restore and protect the resiliency of California’s headwaters. Visit our website at www.sierrafund.org.

Thank you for your support,
Kelsey Westfall

--
Kelsey Westfall
Outreach Coordinator

WE'VE MOVED! Please note our new address
THE SIERRA FUND
103 Providence Mine Road, Suite 101
Nevada City, CA 95959
P: (530) 265-8454 x 217