2016 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 16:48:52 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Cleanup begins at PG&E site purchased by BioMarin, " San Rafael, California

[I missed this in November. I guess it’s because I didn’t drive by. - LS]

Cleanup begins at PG&E site purchased by BioMarin

By Stephanie Weldy
Marin Independent Journal (CA)
November 19, 2015

The big top that has popped up in downtown San Rafael is not the circus coming to town, but cleanup efforts underway at a former Pacific Gas and Electric Co. site now owned by San Rafael-based BioMarin.

The tent at Third and Lindaro streets marks the final phase of environmental cleanup at the 3-acre property at 999 Third St. Cleanup at the site, which formerly housed a manufactured gas plant, is expected to take 12-14 months.

The effort is part of the terms of a land acquisition — which closed in September — by the pharmaceutical company, which has been expanding its footprint in the downtown since purchasing the San Rafael Corporate Center in 2014. The company said it would not take possession of the Third Street property until cleanup was complete.

“We are pleased at the opportunity to continue to grow in San Rafael and contribute to the city’s economic development,” said Debra Charlesworth, a BioMarin spokeswoman. “We would not take possession until PG&E completes the yearlong environmental cleanup project on the property. At this point, we are in the early stages of evaluating our options for possible development of that site.”

For the entire article, see
http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20151119/NEWS/151119762

See also the Department of Toxic Substances Control’s more recent fact sheet at
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/Success/upload/SanRafael_MGPSite_Success.pdf