2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 00:45:37 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Laun-Dry Supply workers were exposed to toxic vapors, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Chemical Company Exposed Workers To Hazardous Solvents

By Ed Williams
KUNM Public Radio (NM)
December 17, 2015

Over a period of decades, cancer-causing solvents quietly seeped from a warehouse owned by Laun-Dry Supply Co. into the groundwater underneath dozens of homes and businesses near downtown Albuquerque. Today the plume of contamination stretches a mile and a half across the city, putting hundreds of people at risk of chemical exposure.

And government records show that employees of Laun-Dry were exposed to toxins from the plume.

"When we collected the first soil vapor sample, we were digging and you could smell it, almost like an airplane glue kind of smell," said Baird Swanson. Today he’s a private environmental consultant, but back in 2005 he was an investigator for the New Mexico Environment Department. He was digging for soil samples at Laun-Dry Supply Company, after discovering a leaking chemical tank there.

http://kunm.org/post/chemical-company-exposed-workers-hazardous- solvents#stream/0