2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:39:37 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Legacy of Dupont Plant’s Pollution Looms Large for People of Pompton Lakes," New Jersey

Legacy of Dupont Plant’s Pollution Looms Large for People of Pompton Lakes
Residents, environmentalists assert government studies of high cancer rates sidestep clear evidence of link to underground toxics

by Scott Gurian
NJ Spotlight
December 14, 2015

“In my mind, Pompton Lakes was the best place in the world to grow up, and I loved my friends. I loved my neighbors,” he said.

Yet there were indications early on that things weren’t as rosy as they appeared. Standing in front of his childhood home, where he continues to live more than 50 years later, he recalled a moment that’s still clearly etched in his mind.

“So I’m five years old. That means it’s 1961,” he said. “I’m walking the curb right over here and trying to balance. And all of a sudden there was this explosion, and it knocked me off my feet, and I literally was standing in the roadway without having taken a step toward the roadway. I was startled like I can’t even begin to tell you. My brother told the story where he was in the house and thought the roof had blown off and was terrified to even go look upstairs because the explosion was so intense. This is what we lived with on a daily basis growing up.”

LaSala’s family home was just down from the road from a DuPont facility that made munitions and detonators for the military and the mining industry. In the years that followed, it would go on to produce clad coins for the federal government.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/15/12/13/legacy-of-dupont-plant-s-pollution-looms-large-for-people-of-pompton-lakes/#

278-A Hope Street