2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 00:14:34 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "New dog park still tops probability wish list for Palmetto [Florida] brownfield property"

New dog park still tops probability wish list for Palmetto brownfield property

By MARK YOUNG
Bradenton Herald (FL)
November 17, 2015

PALMETTO -- When Palmetto's Community Redevelopment Agency Director Jeff Burton envisions a future project, "World class" is a common theme of what he sees, even if it's a dog park sitting on 1.5 acres at 505 Fifth Street W, a parcel of land surrounded by commercial industrial and residential uses.

The property is better known as the Edenfield property, named after its owner up until 1999 when the city purchased the property from the former CSX Railroad employee who often bought up former railroad storage yards no longer needed. While the property is surrounded by other uses, it's southern border sits along the Manatee River and most of the property is shrouded by ancient oak trees making  it ideal for public use. What that public use looks like, or if it will be public use remains a question.

"I know there have been discussions on a dog park and I think it would be a huge benefit," said Mayor Shirley Groover Bryant. "I've heard some real positive feedback on the idea, but I've also heard some real opposition on the commission. We'll look at some other opportunities and re-configuring something on the water that may be more in line with some of the other businesses that could transition that neighborhood than what's there now."

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/article45247314.html

278-A Hope Street