2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Mountain View, California moves North Bayshore housing plans forward

Council OKs $1.2 million for studies of North Bayshore housing
Revising plans first step to allowing new residential neighborhood

by Mark Noack
Mountain View Voice (CA)
April 16, 2105

Throwing a new twist into future development plans in North Bayshore, the Mountain View City Council on Tuesday night signaled that more than 100 acres of land could be used to build a new residential neighborhood.

In a 6-1 vote at the April 14 meeting, with John Inks opposed, council members approved studying the feasibility of bringing hundreds of new, tightly packed homes to a cluster of parcels near Shoreline Boulevard north of Highway 101. In doing so, council members challenged developers to present ideas for making the area a model for modern urban design.

"I'm excited about this. We have a great opportunity to create a live-work-play neighborhood in the North Bayshore," said Councilman Lenny Siegel. "If we take all of this together, we can come up with a really exciting urban design plan."

…

The fiercest push-back that evening came from LinkedIn as the council discussed the possibility of residential zoning on land the company had intended for a new 10-building campus. LinkedIn representative Jim Morgensen pointed out that much of the area sought for housing was located along a contaminated groundwater plume of toxic trichloroethylene and perchloroethene. While commercial development was possible, any new residences would face enormous liability in a toxic environment, he said.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.mv-voice.com/news/print/2015/04/16/council-oks-12-million-for-studies-of-north-bayshore-housing

278-A Hope Street