2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 02:25:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Groundwater and vapor investigation in York, Nebraska

EPA continues contamination investigation
Researchers will do testing downtown in November

by Melanie Wilkinson
York News-Times (NE)
October 10, 2014

YORK - While the clean-up of the large groundwater contamination plumes in York are the main objective for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), so is finding the source areas.

While these two contamination plumes began decades ago, finding the location of the sources is imperative to cleaning up the plumes once and for all – and to make sure there are no adverse effects.

"We will conduct water and soil samples in the downtown area in November," Fischer said, "using a small drill rig. We will also do indoor air samples. Where the source area is, the PCE is heavier than water, so it goes through the soil to the water. PCE is a solvent like gas – and it could get into basements. We will do sub-slab samples, air samples. We will look for vapor intrusion."

http://www.yorknewstimes.com/news/epa-continues-contamination- investigation/article_2ab00794-503a-11e4-a7b8-17ed5abc08b6.html