2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 08:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] CTS [Asheville, North Carolina] given 30 days to submit cleanup plans

CTS given 30 days to submit cleanup plans

by John Boyle,
Asheville Citizen-Times (NC)
July 14, 2014

ARDEN - CTS Corp. has until Aug. 11 to submit plans to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for cleaning up polluted springs and a plume of tainted groundwater beneath a former plant site.

The 30-day deadline sent to CTS by the EPA on July 10 follows the agency’s voluntary evacuation of 13 people living near the old plant site on Mills Gap Road because of unsafe pollutant levels in air vapor. The primary culprit was polluted springs downhill from the vacant CTS site.

"It was precipitated by the people having to be temporarily relocated," said Samantha Urquhart-Foster, the EPA’s remedial project manager for the site. "We want to get them back in their homes if we can. Our primary focus is bringing down the air concentrations at the springs so they can get back home."

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2014/07/14/cts-given- days-submit-cleanup-plans/12651663/