2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 08:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Feds say there is no Superfund money to finish Garfield [New Jersey] cleanup"

Feds say there is no Superfund money to finish Garfield cleanup

By HERB JACKSON and SCOTT FALLON
Bergen Record (NJ)
June 11, 2014

WASHINGTON - The federal government does not have enough money to finish cleaning up groundwater contaminated with cancer-causing chromium that has sat under a Garfield neighborhood for three decades and is spreading, a top environmental official told a congressional panel Tuesday.

Although the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency spent $5 million in recent years to remove thousands of tons of highly contaminated soil in Garfield, there is no money to treat an underground plume that has seeped into homes and businesses in the southwest corner of the city, said Judith Enck, a regional administrator at the EPA.

"No remedy has been selected for the final cleanup, but we estimate it will cost tens of millions of dollars," Enck told the panel, which focused on the Superfund program and is headed by Sen. Cory Booker, D- N.J. "We don’t have that money."

http://www.northjersey.com/news/feds-say-there-is-no-superfund-money- to-finish-garfield-cleanup-1.1032803