2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 13:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "'Higher Levels' Of TCE Spark New Cleanup Strategy At Whirlpool, " Fort Smith, Arkansas

'Higher Levels' Of TCE Spark New Cleanup Strategy At Whirlpool

By Chad Hunter
Southwest Times Record (AR)
May 15, 2014

Discovery of the potential source location for underground contamination at the shuttered Whirlpool plant in Fort Smith may prompt the company to employ “strategic removal of highly impacted soil” near the former degreasing building.

In a statement sent to the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality, Whirlpool said “an additional, limited area of soil with increased concentration of TCE on the Whirlpool property was verified following completion” of a state-approved cleanup plan called a Final Remedial Action Decision Document.

According to ADEQ, the area of impacted soil is “as deep as 25-30 feet.”

“We did find an area, called section one, on our property with higher levels of contamination,” Whirlpool spokesman Jeff Noel said Wednesday. “It’s contained. It’s underground. We think it could be the source or near the source.”

http://swtimes.com/news/higher-levels-tce-spark-new-cleanup-strategy- whirlpool

For a related editorial, see
http://www.thecitywire.com/node/33165