2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 19:05:11 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Riverton, Wyoming Main Street

Riverton City lot on East Main to undergo further environmental investigation in advance of clean-up

by Ernie Over
County 10 (WY)
November 21, 2013

(Riverton, Wyo.) - The Riverton City Council Tuesday night received an update on the property they own at 422 Main Street, currently a vacant lot but formerly the location of a gasoline station and a dry cleaners. Because of environmental contamination from those two former uses, the site is undergoing a clean-up through the Department of Environmental Quality’s Brownfields Assistance Program.

City Councilors were told that dry cleaning solvents were detected in ground water under the site from previously installed monitoring wells and that vapors from those solvents may be impacting adjoining buildings.

"We are getting documents together to do the investigation at the site and we plan to start the work in the first week of December," Wyoming DEQ's Kristi Dobra of Lander said at the meeting. "We've already hired a contractor from Salt Lake City. We'll be performing well and ground water sampling, and soil gas investigations to determine if there is a vapor intrusion program." If there is, she said the vapors could enter an adjoining business to the west and to buildings across the Main Street. She said that is where the polluted ground water has apparently migrated. "We want to make sure there are no vapor intrusion issues if you decide to put a building on that site."

http://county10.com/2013/11/21/city-lot-east-main-undergo- environmental-investigation-advance-clean/