2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE Plume in Mancelona, Michigan

Out of sight, out of mind: Carcinogenic chemical spreads beneath Michigan town

By Brian Bienkowski

Environmental Health News
September 3, 2013

MANCELONA, Mich. - When state and federal environmental officials visited this tucked-away town 15 years ago, their presence surprised local residents.

"My heart and most of my life has been spent here in Antrim County," said Gary Knapp, a long-time resident. "And I knew nothing of its environmental problems."

While removing metal contamination from local groundwater, officials had stumbled upon one of the nationâs largest plumes of an industrial solvent called trichloroethylene, or TCE. Drinking-water wells tap into this aquifer, so the state asked the townâs help in preventing the chemical from flowing out of peopleâs taps.

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/2013/tce-plume