2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Wellsburg (West Virginia) aims to breathe new life into old properties

Wellsburg aims to breathe new life into old properties

By LINDA HARRIS
Steubenville Herald-Star (OH)
July 14, 2013

WELLSBURG - The boarded up windows at the old Brooke Glass property in the south end of town don't begin to tell the story of what's happening in the community, Mayor Sue Simonetti says.

Idled more than three decades ago, Simonetti sees the old factory as the centerpiece of a citywide effort to reinvent Wellsburg that started just about the time the old Banner-Fibreboard property in the heart of town was cleaned up and then acquired by Eagle Manufacturing for roughly $1.2 million. The company is currently building a 40,000- square-foot distribution center and a 1,200-square foot office where the paper plant once stood, leaving it with another 60,000 square feet of development potential in reserve.

"Brooke Glass wasn't our first priority (when we started)," Simonetti says of the 2-acre parcel just a block from city hall. "But it's become our first priority."

http://www.hsconnect.com/page/content.detail/id/588330/Wellsburg-aims- to-breathe--new-life-into-old-properties.html