2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:06:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Brooklyn Basin waterfront, Oakland, California

News Release
Port of Oakland, California
June 10, 2013

Port of Oakland Closes Escrow with Development Partners on Brooklyn Basin Property
Ten-year-plus vision for waterfront redevelopment becoming reality

Oakland, CA - On Monday, June 10, 2013 the State Lands Commission and the Port of Oakland closed escrow with Zarsion-OHP I, LLC of Oakland, CA, an entity managed by Signature Development Group and Zarsion America, on the Brooklyn Basin project (also known as the "Oak-to- Ninth" project). For over a decade, the Port has been in contract to sell and lease the 64-acre waterfront site. Oakland Board of Port Commissioners President Gilda Gonzales said, "We are excited to close escrow on this unique waterfront property that has long been unfeasible for future maritime use for the Port. We appreciate all of those who have helped make this agreement possible including Governor Jerry Brown, Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, our partners Signature Development Group and their recent China-based investment partner Zarsion America. This redevelopment will transform property that is no longer needed for maritime use into a wonderful new neighborhood for Oakland."

The developer's approved project for the site provides many economic, environmental and social equity benefits for the City of Oakland and the region, including a Community Benefits Agreement developed as part of the local land use entitlements for the project. It will support many sustainability concepts and will result in the environmental remediation of an existing industrial property up to residential and open space standards for the benefit of all who will live, work or visit in the area. It will also provide economic benefits to the local economy in the form of additional housing units, including affordable housing units, and jobs for local residents.

For the entire release, see
http://www.portofoakland.com/newsroom/pressrel/view.asp?id=306