2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 07:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Elmwood, Missouri community concerned about TCE exposure

EPA inspects North County groundwater

By Rebecca S. Rivas
St. Louis American
August 30, 2012

Ever since St. Louis County resident Marcella Mays heard that the ground beneath her home is contaminated with a hazardous and potentially cancer-causing chemical, she hasn’' been able to get it off her mind.

For 10 years, she has lived in her 1,400 sq ft, two-story townhome near Interstate-170 and Page Boulevard. And it’s been 22 years since a metal company across the street spilled a grease-cleaning solvent, Trichloroethylene (TCE), into the ground. Now beneath some homes, the TCE levels are considered dangerous.

"My kid is out here playing all the time, and this is the first time I've heard about it," she said. "It's scary because I don't really have health insurance. I think about it everyday. Am I inhaling something I shouldn’t be inhaling? Do I need to move?"

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/local_news/article_bb1611b2- f249-11e1-8bcc-0019bb2963f4.html