2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 15:26:22 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Carousel Center, Syracuse, New York

Syracuse's Carousel Center history: Part I

By Kat De Maria
Your News Now
December 26, 2011
Many people did their holiday shopping at malls this year, and many in Central New York and beyond did their shopping at Syracuse's Carousel Center. But what they may not think about is how Carousel came to be the success it is today. In the first of a two-part series, our Kat De Maria tells us how the mall developed out of an old Brownfield, and what's next for the site.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Years ago, the gateway to Syracuse was a place Bob Congel said he was embarrassed to drive people through when he picked them up from the airport. It was a toxic wasteland known as Oil City.

Pyramid Companies Chairman Bob Congel said, "My family lived pretty much on Lodi Street and State Street in Syracuse, New York. And this area used to be a great hunting grounds before they made a dump out of it and a junkyard with all of the oil tanks. I was always bothered by it."

"It was characterized as an 800-acre industrial slum. There were oil fields, a lot of contamination, a lot of abandoned factories," said Vito Scisciolo, former Syracuse 20/20 Executive Director.

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/568233/syracuse-s- carousel-center-history--part-i/