2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:19:14 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Declare Detroit (MI) says "NO to Brownfield Tax Credits for Waste Incinerator"

NO to Brownfield Tax Credits for Waste Incinerator

by Declare Detroit
December 12, 2011

Tomorrow, the Michigan Economic Growth Authority (MEGA) will review a request from Detroit Renewable Power for $4.1 million in Detroit Brownfield tax credits for the waste incinerator.

As dedicated residents who really want to see sensible use of our tax dollars, we urge the state to deny this request. (To see our letter to MEGA, click here: http://bit.ly/v4d7vB)

We expect our city and state governing boards to use redevelopment incentives to incentivize redevelopment. And, in fact, they have used those incentives to bring about good investment in projects such as the Westin Book Cadillac, the Fort Shelby Double Tree Hotel, the A. Alfred Taubman Center for Design Education (aka the Argonaut Building), Compuware, the Odd Fellows Hall, the Lithuanian Hall and others.

We cheer when our political leadership does good, and smack our heads and want to leave when they do bad, like approving subsidies for the nation’s largest incinerator.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/declare-detroit/no-to-brownfield-tax- credits-for-waste-incinerator/10150449887128673