2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 05:24:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Delay in shutting toxic Bronx school sparks outrage"

[But this is something that the New York City School System has faced before, in 1997. See http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/2350Fifth.pdf. - LS]

Delay in shutting toxic Bronx school sparks outrage; city sat on shocking test results for 6 months

BY Rachel Monahan

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
August 9, 2011

The Bronx New School was found to have alarming levels of a toxic chemical TCE in January, but remained open for an additional six months without notifying parents.

City officials knew as early as January that a Bronx school shut down last week was contaminated by toxic chemicals, the Daily News has learned.

A second test did not happen for another two months - even though the first test found unsafe levels of trichloroethylene at the Bronx New School.

"We have serious questions about why it took the DOE so long to close the building for students and staff," said Chris Proctor, the United Federation of Teachers' Safety and Health Department director.

"This isn't really something we have faced before, so I understand why parents are concerned and we need to do a better job of getting parents information in a timely manner," said Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott. He said he would be meeting with the school community next week.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/education/ 2011/08/09/2011-08-09_delay_in_shutting_bx_school.html

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918