2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Chevron builds concentrating photovoltaic plant at Questa, New Mexico mine tailing site

Chevron
News Release
April 19, 2011

Chevron Starts Operations of 1 MW CPV Solar Field in Northern New Mexico
Demonstration to evaluate economic viability of emerging concentrating solar photovoltaic technology

QUESTA, N.M.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Chevron Mining Inc. (CMI), a subsidiary of Chevron Corp (NYSE:CVX) and sister company Chevron Technology Ventures (CTV), a division of Chevron U.S.A., announced the start of one of the country’s largest concentrating photovoltaic solar facilities. The installation, located on the tailing site of CMI’s molybdenum mine in Questa, New Mexico, will demonstrate and evaluate an emerging solar technology and a practical use of previously impacted land.

“Chevron is one of the first companies in the U.S. to demonstrate CPV on this scale. We’re fortunate that we have property in a part of the world with a solar resource that is expected to be most conducive to this type of technology” "Chevron is one of the first companies in the U.S. to demonstrate CPV on this scale. We’re fortunate that we have property in a part of the world with a solar resource that is expected to be most conducive to this type of technology," said Des King, CTV president.

Chevron installed concentrating photovoltaic technology that uses lenses to collect and focus direct sunlight onto layers of high efficiency cells. This technology is expected to work best in areas like northern New Mexico that have higher direct solar radiation

For the entire release, see
http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110419006868/en/Chevron/ photovoltaic/solar