2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] March 17 Video Town Hall Discussion on Designing EPA’s Regulatory Retrospective Review Plan

From Mathy Stanislaus
Assistant Administrator for EPA's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response

Subject Line: March 17 Video Town Hall Discussion on Designing EPA’s Regulatory Retrospective Review Plan

Hello,

Please join me for the sixth Video Town Hall discussion on Thursday, March 17 from 1:00 - 1:45 PM EST. Anyone who wishes to attend will have an opportunity to ask questions directly to myself and other EPA experts.

President Obama’s Regulatory Strategy requires Federal agencies to design cost-effective, evidence-based regulations that are compatible with economic growth, job creation, and competitiveness. In the spirit of transparency and accountability, EPA is beginning a new periodic retrospective review of our existing significant regulations to determine whether any of those regulations should be modified, streamlined, expanded, or repealed. Our goal is to make EPA regulations less burdensome while still achieving their regulatory objectives. Your ideas on rules that could be modified to help us reach environmental justice goals, or promote sustainable development, or take advantage of new scientific data are areas that can help focus this review.

There are two ways to participate:

Discuss your ideas online

1. Discuss/Watch online. Access the streaming video feed at www.epa.gov/oswer/videotownhall.htm. You can e-mail questions to townhallquestions@epa.gov before or during the meeting. We will select a representative sample of questions and answer as many as possible. Please include your name or organization when submitting a question.

or...

2. Call in. You can listen to the meeting toll-free by calling 1-877-220-5073, conference code 49951681. People attending by phone will have an opportunity to ask questions towards the end of the meeting. We will answer as many questions as possible.

We want you to help us design the plan we will use to periodically review our regulations. Share your ideas by issue or impact (e.g. state, local and tribal governments, EJ impacts,
Small business impacts, technological innovation).
Share your ideas by program area (e.g. waste, water, air)
Share general issues (e.g. what to consider in conducting our review, process for setting priorities, or the identification of candidate rules for review)

Submit your ideas online
EPA is accepting comments on Regulations.gov from now through 03/20/2011. We won't be able to respond to every individual comment, but we value your input and will give your ideas careful consideration. By late May, you will have the chance to read our retrospective review plan on this website, as well as an initial list of regulations that we plan to review first. We also have an open discussion forum on the web for collecting your ideas too: http:// blog.epa.gov/oswerforum/2011/02/regulation-review/. As you prepare your comments which will be placed in the official docket, please remember that supplying EPA with supporting data and a rationale for the expected benefit for any candidate rule will help us focus on the most promising ideas first.
Get more information
Visit http://www.epa.gov/improvingregulations to learn more about our periodic retrospective review efforts. Information about this Video Town Hall and previous discussions is available at www.epa.gov/oswer/ videotownhall.htm. I
I hope you'll join me on the 17th.

Sincerely,
Mathy Stanislaus
Assistant Administrator for EPA's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response