2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:11:59 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Rhode Island School Siting Legislation

From:  steve.fischbach@gmail.com

I wanted to answer Peter's questions. If you want to post them I guess that's okay.

(b)(1) refers to a property or parcel "in close proximity thereto". Does RI law define "close proximity"? What does that mean?

No, that term is not defined. In this situation we wanted to be clear that an off-site source of vapors was enough to trigger the ban.

(c) there seems to be no room allowed for using mitigation measures such as a sub-slab depressurization system. Am I correct in my reading of the legislation? Was that the intent of the drafters?

Yes, that is the intent of the drafters. These systems break down frequently (or at least they do in the schools here) and our state agency doesn't want to have to deal with that problem anymore.

Steven Fischbach
Community Lawyer
Rhode Island Legal Services
56 Pine Street--Suite 400
Providence, RI  02903

401-274-2652 X-182
401-453-0310 (fax)
steve.fischbach@gmail.com

Steve:

I have a few general questions concerning the legislation (introduced):

(b)(1) refers to a property or parcel "in close proximity thereto". Does RI law define "close proximity"? What does that mean?

(c) there seems to be no room allowed for using mitigation measures such as a sub-slab depressurization system. Am I correct in my reading of the legislation? Was that the intent of the drafters?

Thanks,

Peter Strauss