2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Trilling, Barry" <BTrilling@wiggin.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:30:31 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] EPA's Inspector General reviews All Appropriate Inquiries reports

The problem we've seen with shoddy Phase I reports deserves a strong response. With self-certification one cannot be sure that the person who signs the certification even has the credential required by the regulation and the poorer the quality of the report the more likely it is that the person who did the certification would not qualify under the regulation as an EP.  Nonetheless, the remedy for a User who has received a deficient report will depend upon the nature of the damage it has suffered, and if that damage amounts to the loss of the BFP defense and the incurring of cleanup expenses stemming therefrom, unless the contract with the consultant limits the remedy the injured party could sue for breach of contract.  Many Phase I contracts, however, limit the consultant's liability to the amount of the stated compensation--- so even if one pays $3000 for what one might anticipate to be a good Phase I report and it turns out not to be, the damages could be limited to $3000 and there is no effective remedy or disincentive provided to the consultant. For Phase I engagements I recommend that the consultant's liability be limited to the extent of the coverage of its professional insurance, and that the contract require the consultant to maintain at least one million dollars in coverage.  Most times, however, the damage is not done by loss of the defense, but in the disruption or destruction of a transaction and most clients would rather suffer the loss as part of the learning experience rather that incur lawyer's fees in suing the consultant.  Possible fines imposed by governmental agencies with a complaint procedure that could be mobilized by those who have received improperly certified reports would help solve the problem.

Barry J. Trilling
 W I G G I N  A N D  D A N A