2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:41:38 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Former Morton Health Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma

[When CPEO organized a workshop in Biloxi, Mississippi, we learned of brownfields projects in Mississippi and Florida that were preserving buildings significant to African-American history. I'd be interested in hearing of other, similar examples. How widespread is this? - LS]

Clean up coming for brownfields in Tulsa

By Sara Goldenberg
KJRH TV-2 News (OK)
February 11, 2011

TULSA - Two abandoned properties in Tulsa contaminated by hazardous chemicals will get another chance.

After the race riots, a hospital opened in north Tulsa. It became a symbol of hope for many.

"In 1921 there was no hospital that blacks could go to. And so that's why the hospital was established," said Carol Thompkins, development director at Morton Comprehensive Health Services.

A $200,000 grant to the city of Tulsa from the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality will give the historic building another chance.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/clean-up-coming-for-brownfields-in-tulsa